Sunday, September 6, 2009

Part 2: Goodbye Boston Ciao Firenze

So I arrived in Florence’s airport, which is very tiny. I felt like I had landed in Hawaii because you exit the plane, from both ends, on to the tarmac and are then shuttled to the terminal. The luggage claim area has only 3 belts, this was a very small airport. The first thing I noticed when I got inside was the extremely long line at the lost and found counter, which raised my anxiety level for fear that my bags would not be making the trip with me. Luckily after a good fifteen minute wait my bags appeared and I half lugged half carried them out of the airport.

Before I had left home I had arranged to be picked up by the school since I was arriving the same day as the group flight, or so I thought. The housing people claimed they had no knowledge of this so I had to take a taxi to the school’s main office to pick up my keys. I was not off to a good start. Luckily, I was able to share a cab with another girl. When I finally get my housing form the lady hands me a sheet and shows me on the map where my housing is, she tells me it looks far on the map but it’s really not that bad, this is all lies. I take yet another cab and pull up to my new home and I am confronted by about fifteen steps, yes I counted. It took me about ten minutes to climb them and bring all my bags up, but I made it! Even more fortunate there was an elevator, which was amazing because there was no way I was going to be able to carry those bags up to the second floor.

I finally reach the apartment and the first thing I do is explore. I notice bags in two of the rooms, but no one is around. I was happy that I had my own room and that there was a washing machine and two bathrooms. Overall as first impressions go it was a pretty nice place.

No comments:

Post a Comment