Thursday, September 24, 2009

An Active Weekend

No one has ever called me athletic and for good reason. However, Florence is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside’s, so I decided to dust off my walking shoes and give activity a whirl. First stop was biking in Chianti. A challenging trip ensued, consisting of a 13km trek up and down hilly roads and hugging several S-shape curves that would make any driver cringe. But, while I wasn’t clinging to my brakes in terror, I was able to take in the lush Tuscan countryside. Deep valleys and vineyards filled my vision in every direction and my digital camera couldn’t truly do it justice. A difficult day, but well worth it. When exhausted we pulled in to a vineyard, I’d never felt like I’d earned a glass of vino more; I was nearly too tired to drink it.

Invigorated yet sore day 2 of my new adventurous life began with a train ride out to Cinque Terre. This day proved just as challenging, even without the bicycle, but again was worth the pain. Taking our time we strolled easily along the trails of the first few towns, taking many picture stops along the way. A combination of the Amalfi Coast and Santorini, Cinque Terre, was filled with its own mystical beauty. Around every corner there was a new view of sparkling blue water and cragged rocks jutting down the cliff-sides. Every town had its own charm and entertainment and I observed many a cliff diver, something I can happily say I will never try. After lunch the hike hit its hard stage, nearly all up hill on uneven terrain, it was difficult, but luckily I made it and as a reward had a delicious gelato in the last town. I’m not sure if it was my spent body talking or what but an ice cream never tasted so good. 6km later I was physically done and happily slept on the train ride home. I think I’ll put away my walking shoes for a while now.

Likes: Beautiful scenery and fresh air
Dislikes: not a real wine tasting, rude restaurant staff in Cinque.

No comments:

Post a Comment